Residential Technology Agent
The Wreck Techs is a team of active students and 1 manager that assist students, faculty, and staff throughout the year with technical and customer service needs, especially focusing on wired and wireless Internet issues in campus residential environments. They assist customers via email, phone, live chat, and in walk-up locations in Howell Residence Hall and West Village Dining Commons.
The Wreck Techs have a wide range of technical skills that include repairing cabling issues (e.g., re-punching data jacks, replacing wall plates, re-patching cables in data closets), installing and configuring computer operating systems and applications, connecting and registering devices (e.g. computers, mobile phones, IoT devices, etc.) on wired/wireless networks, repairing software-related issues on customer computers (e.g. malware removal, software installation, IoT device setup, wipe/re-install OS, data recovery), and troubleshooting common network-related issues (slow WiFi, intermittent Ethernet connection).
- Assisting customers with technical issues via phone, email, live chat, and in-person (walk-up locations and in residents’ rooms)
- Assist customers with setting up their devices in residence halls during Fall Move-In
- Repairing cabling issues (e.g. repunching data jacks, replacing wallplates, repatching cables in data closets)
- Installing and configuring computer operating systems and applications
- Connecting and registering devices (e.g. computers, mobile phones, etc.) on wired/wireless networks
- Includes troubleshooting of issues experienced in the connection process
- Repairing software-related issues on customer computers (e.g. malware removal, software installation, wipe/re-install OS)
- Setup, troubleshooting, and configuration of the following items:
- Televisions (e.g. initial setup, network connection)
- Game consoles (e.g. connecting to TV, wired/wireless internet connection setup)
- Routers (e.g. registration on the GT network, disabling wireless radios)
- IoT (Internet of Things) devices (e.g. personal assistants, smart lights, speakers)
- Inspections of data closets in residence halls
- Enrolled undergraduate student at Georgia Tech’s Atlanta campus
- Must have completed one semester of classes before the application deadline to be considered
- Ability to work a minimum of 10 hours each week during the following times:
- 2p-10p Sunday, 11a-10p Monday-Thursday, 11a-6p Friday
- Shifts are generally 2-3 hours at minimum
- The ability to arrive on campus approximately two weeks prior to the first day of classes for mandatory training and move-in assistance
- Basic knowledge of the following items:
- Operation of desktop and laptop computers and operating systems
- Wired/wireless networking technology and hardware
- Operation of televisions
- Operation of mobile devices (e.g. smartphones, tablets)
- Operation of media devices (e.g. smart TVs, gaming consoles, streaming sticks)
- Operation of IoT devices
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to solve complex problems
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers from all technical backgrounds
- Adaptable, professional, courteous, motivated and able to work well independently or as a member of a team
- Students must be a U.S. person (U.S. citizen or permanent resident)
- Due to regulatory and security requirements, we are only able to hire individuals classified as “United States persons”. For more information, see item 3 “Who is considered a U.S. Person?” of the Oversight section of the nsa.gov FAQ: https://www.nsa.gov/about/faqs/sigint-faqs/#oversight3
This role follows the email application process. Please take note of the citizenship requirements.
OPEN for Summer 2023
Accepting applications until July 1 2023
20-40 hours per week.
West Village: 532 8th St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Howell: 640 Williams St NW, Atlanta, GA 30313
Clough: 266 4th St NW, Atlanta, GA 30313
Start Date: June 11, 2023
Perks of the Job
Work schedules are flexible and based on your availability and academic schedule.
Join a team of student assistants and learn to collaborate with like-minded colleagues in a fun and friendly work culture
Gain on the job IT training and hands-on experience across a breadth of technologies.
Acquire real-world service experience, applicable to future industry opportunities within a customer-focused technology support role
A Step Towards Success
Student assistants who have worked in this Residential Technology Agent role have moved on to full-time roles and internships at some pretty awesome companies.